Dorney Park is closing today, August 7, at 4:45 PM due to inclement weather. Please visit our up-to-date calendar to plan your next visit.
To help kids keep up their penmanship and work on their storytelling skills, we’ve put together a few amusement park-inspired writing prompts for them to try at home. Once a day, have them sit down in a quiet place and write about one of the scenarios here!
For children in primary grades, remind them to use these narrative structures:
Story progression with “First…/ Then…/ Next…/ Finally….”
Don’t forget fun details!
For older kids who could turn these into fictional narratives, have them consider their key story elements:
What’s the setting? (Time, season, place?)
Characters (How many and who are they?)
What’s the problem? (How will the characters solve the problem, will they change?)
1. You’ve been asked to design a ride for Dorney Park. What kind of ride will you create? What will it look like and how will it work? What will it be made of? What will it be called?
2. You’ve just won a major prize: You get to have Dorney Park all to yourself for a day. Who will you bring? What will you do? Describe your adventure.
3. You come to the park one day and pick up a park map at the entrance. Only you discover it’s a very special map – a treasure map, and the treasure is here at Dorney Park! X marks the spot. Where is it and what do you do? Is someone else looking for this treasure too?
4. What’s your best memory of Dorney Park? What happened, when was it and who was there? Why is it your best memory?
5. You’ve found a time machine and time-traveled to Dorney Park in 2040. How has it changed?
6. A sorcerer has come to Dorney Park and turned your favorite ride into a live creature. It can only communicate with you. What do you do? What is the creature like?
7. Write a story combining these elements: Steel Force, funnel cakes and Snoopy.
8. What’s your favorite ride at Dorney Park and why? What does it feel like to ride it? Were you ever scared to ride it? How did you overcome your fear?
9. You just won a prize at one of the games at Dorney Park. It’s a funny-looking lamp! When you rub it, a genie appears and says he’ll grant you three wishes! What do you wish for?
10. You've been asked to take over the Dorney Park blog. Write a blog entry with your insider tips on how to have the BEST DAY EVER at the park.
Post a Comment
Demon Drop: Free Falling Fun
Dorney Park Now on Spotify
Dorney Park Welcomes New Executive Chef, Michael Wedderburn
Introducing Madison Hall
Dorney Park Free Mobile App Guide
We're All in This Together
Dorney Park Virtual Hiring Process
Free Dorney Park Father's Day Coloring Sheets
Dorney Park Hiring in Preparation for Start of 2020 Season